3photon - BBO (Barium borate crystal)
Barium-borate (BBO or BaB2O4) has two phases:
α phase – high temperature phase
β phase – low temperature phase
β-barium-borate (BBO) differs from the α-barium-borate by the positions of the barium ions in the crystal.
Although both α-BBO and β-BBO phases are birefringent, α-BBO phase has centric symmetry and thus different nonlinear properties in comparison to the β-BBO phase.
Beta-barium-borate (BBO) is a non-linear optical (NLO) crystal with a set of specific features: large non-linear coefficient for ultraviolet (UV), high damage threshold, broad phase matching, low GDD for ultrafast applications and wide transparency range.
BBO crystals are one of the best electro-optical (E-O) crystals and TOP tier non-linear optical (NLO) crystals, they are widely used for 2nd – 5th harmonic generations in most popular lasers and optical parametric oscillators (OPO), mostly (but not limited to) Ti:Sapphire, Yb:KGW/KYW laser systems, pockel cells and other applications
- Crystal Type: BBO (Beta Barium Borate)
- Phase Mathcing Type: Type I, Type II, Not Applicable
- Mounting: Mounted, Unmounted
- Width: 2-20 mm
- Height: 2-20 mm
- Length: 2-16 mm
- Flatness: <= Lambda/20, <= Lambda/10, <= Lambda/8, <= Lambda/6
- Surface Quality (Scratch-Dig): 10-5, 20-10
- AR Coating: One side, Both Sides, Not Coated
- Laser Induced Damage Threshold (LIDT): >0.5 J/cm2 @ 213 nm, 10 ns, 10 Hz
Nd:YAG Laser Systems Harmonics:
BBO is one of the best crystals for picosecond SHG (532 nm), THG (355 nm) generation or with any pulse duration for 4th (266 nm) or 5th harmonic generation (213 nm).
Ti:Sapphire Laser Systems Harmonics:
BBO is the best crystal for ultrashort SHG (400 nm), THG (266 nm), 4th (200 nm) generation.
BBO OPO/OPA pumped:
355 nm for 400-2400 nm generation
532 nm for 650-2400 nm generation
800 nm for 1200-2400 nm generation.
Type 2 BBO used for further Double-Frequency-Generation (DFG) mixing of signal and Idler
Non-collinear BBO OPA pumped @ 400 nm for pulses with wide spectral width generation in order to obtain ultrashort <4 fs pulses.
Electro-optical (E-O) applications:
Due to electro-optical properties the BBO crystal best suits for use for fast Pockels Cells production.
As Birefringent material applications:
BBO crystal is widely used for temporal walk-off compensation to synchronize the different wavelength pulses after harmonic or other optical setup stages. Could be used for compensation of very short femtosecond to picosecond pulse temporal differences.
Due high spatial walk-off, the BBO crystal could be used for different polarization beams separation in space. This could be used for custom prism or polarizers production.
- Broad phase matching range for harmonics generation down to 200 nm;
- Broad transparency ranges from 190 nm to 2200 nm;
- High damage threshold;
- Low thermo-optical dependence of phase matching makes BBO the most stable crystal for high power applications;
- Relatively high non-linear coefficients for UV-VIS applications;
- Small angle tuning range makes it most attractive for OPA/OPO wide wavelengths region generations;
- Broad band anti-reflective (AR) coatings for OPA/OPO applications;
You may also like
Efficient Nonlinear Materials And Polarization ComponentsDavis Marketing International LLC
LBO LITHIUM TRIBORATE CRYSTALGamdan Optics Inc
KTP POTASSIUM TITANIUM OXIDE PHOSPHATE CRYSTALGamdan Optics Inc
BBO BETA-BARIUM BORATE CRYSTALGamdan Optics Inc
LITAO3 - SLT - MGSLT CRYSTALSHobbite Co Ltd
Stoichiometric Lithium TantalateIsowave
Nonlinear And Electro-Optical ProductsIsowave
CaF2 Optical MaterialMiracrys LLC
KDP Water Soluble CrystalMiracrys LLC
Sapphire HexagonalMiracrys LLC
KTP-3305S1 Nonlinear Optical MaterialLasertec Inc
LBO-3312S1 Nonlinear Optical CrystalLasertec Inc